Don’t Miss the Forest for the Trees
A Cheat sheet for immediate post-op recovery
10. If the patient’s BP & urine output are down, check ABG for metabolic acidosis.
9. Do not give diuretics immediately post-op.
8. If your patient’s HR is down and BP and/or C.O. is down, turn on the pacemaker. If not capturing, reverse the wires.
7. If your patient is bleeding, think about increasing Peep, if your BP and C.O. can tolerate it.
6. If your patient is hypotensive, look at the temperature. If elevated, take off the blankets.
5. Turn off the temporary pacemaker before doing an EKG.
4. If your PA diastolic is less than your CVP, the Swan is in the wrong place. Look at your x-ray and have a senior nurse adjust.
3. If the patient is bleeding, warm them up.
2. Do not even think about weaning if your patient is bleeding.
1. Do not give Lopressor with a marginal Cardiac Index.
End of story.
Have you read the award-winning medical thriller, Critical Cover-Up? If not, you can download the first 3 chapters her for free.
What ICU nurses are saying:
“I could not put this book down. The story line is amazing and makes for a great read. As a CVICU/ICU nurse, it was like I was right at the bedside. I highly recommend this book.” 5 stars
* * * * *
“Love , love this book. As a critical care nurse of 30 plus years I honestly could not put it down and hope that there will be more to come. It is funny and sadly true but written it a way that u just can’t get enough of!” 5 stars
* * * * *